Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Color Blindness is HYSTERICAL!

J is red/green colorblind, which isn't all that uncommon (our friend says he is red/green/purple colorblind, and THAT one I don't understand. But hey, I'll go along with it!) And for the most part, it doesn't affect his living in any way.

What it DOES affect is how I describe things to him, because I can never seem to remember that he doesn't see those colors. I cannot tell you HOW many times he's asked me something along the lines of, "Which one is it?" and I say, "The green one". "Which one?" "The green one, the one right there, RIGHT THERE! What, can you not SEE green . . . oh. Oops". (That particular example was from a monster truck rally. We are just THAT exciting of a couple!) Those moments when I realize that he legitimately can't see red or green always make me giggle.

What REALLY makes me laugh, though, is when he's honestly trying to see red and green, and just can't. For instance, there is this shirt I love (WARNING: THERE ARE NAUGHTY WORDS IN IT!) that has a sentence printed in red on a green background (if anyone has seen those colorblindness tests with all the tiny blobs of colors, that is what it looks like). And the reason I love it is that I can so clearly see what is written, and J just CANNOT see it! He sits there at his computer - standing up, then sitting down, then getting up close, then tilting his head to the side, then asking me to point out where the words are, or what it says again, and then eventually he just gives up. And just watching him trying to figure out what is clearly written on the screen drives me to hysterics! I would wear that shirt 24/7 if they took the bad words out of it, just because every time I'd look down at it, I'd laugh picturing J trying to read it. (And I realize that probably doesn't SOUND very funny, so maybe someday I'll hook up a nanny-cam and try to catch it on video so everyone can see that it really is hysterical! I think if I just tried to record it, it wouldn't end up being a very natural performance, and that would kill the essence of what makes it so funny!)

So maybe laughing at colorblind people trying to see colors isn't a very nice thing to do, but in my own defense, he is my husband (so I think I'm allowed some allowance when making fun of him!) and as far as disabilities go, it's probably one of the most minor ones. If I'm going to laugh at someone, I'll feel free to indulge when it's my husband and it's because he can't see the words on a t-shirt that I will someday buy just to wear around the house ;) Or maybe you should buy it and wear it over to our house sometime - I'd love to see if he'd recognize the shirt or just think you're wearing a giant gray circle on your chest :)

2 comments:

  1. My Dad is colorblind. He swears the copier is pink to him and he can't see red/green either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, a pink copier, I like that ;) What color is it really, just gray? (Since red/green look gray to Jason, sometimes he interprets actual gray as a shade of red or green).

    ReplyDelete