Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Oh Benedryl, You Double Edged Sword!

Every so often, maybe once or twice a year, I inexplicably break out in a teeny tiny rash - small enough so that I can feel it on the surface of my skin more than I can see it, and over a large enough portion of my body that it can't be from something weird that I touched. I usually can never figure out what caused it, but what I do know is that it itches.

And that is why Benedryl is both my best friend and my most hated enemy; it makes the itching stop, but it makes me so very sleepy! I have to stay on a low dose throughout the day so that I can get through work without conking out, and then at night I take a normal dose to try to suppress the reaction as much as possible.

I say all of this not to share new information (*gasp* Shocking! Benedryl makes people sleepy? I'm amazed!) but to explain why my posts are less frequent - I'm working too hard during the week, spending much of my weekends preparing for all the weddings I have coming up in the next few months, and now I spend all my time at home either itching or sleeping. My life is just one big barrel of fun right now! ;)

So have no fear, I'm still up and alive and around, just too brain dead when I'm finally home to share much of anything at all :)

Take a moment for me to enjoy your non-itchiness, and I'll be back more when I can think clearly and stay awake!

1 comment:

  1. I know how much this sucks. Have you tried an off-brand benedryl that is non-drowsy? I once tried Loratadine (or some variation of the spelling) and it worked wonderfully to get rid of the itching (I had an allergice reaction to medicine I was taking) without causing drowsiness, which was key since it was during finals.

    ReplyDelete