Pages

Monday, May 10, 2010

Sometimes There's Just No Substitute!

I've never had truly terrible acne but I've for sure had difficult times with my skin, and for the last five or six years I've been a dedicated Proactiv user (it really does work as well as the infomercials say!) However, with the smack-down I've put on our budget, I've been trying to find a way to slim down my skincare expenses by switching to cheaper and/or generic products. I didn't want to change my whole skincare routine at once (confounding variables!) so I decided to change out one product at a time, wait to see how that works out, and then target a different product after that. I figured the toner would be the easiest thing to find a replacement for, so I kept using the rest of the products and started experimenting with other toners with similar ingredients.

After a few months of experimentation . . . DISASTER! My skin has been an angry mess (for me, anyhow. It's certainly not as bad as it was when I was a teenager or anything, but it was definitely worse than usual). I switched back to my Proactiv toner for two days, and my skin is already calming down and looking happier (yes, skin can look happy!) My plan now is to stick with the toner and look for a face wash replacement. We'll see how my skin reacts to that change ;)

I think that the majority of the time, the generic is just as good as the brand name. Frosted Mini-Wheats cereal versus Golden Spooners (the kind that come in the bag instead of a box) are hardly distinguishable. Generic kidney beans are no better or worse than the name brand, and why should I pay more for fancy herbs and seasoning when it all comes from the same plant, anyhow?

However, there are those few things where the generics just can't compare. Though I've been eating the generic for years (because it's a lot cheaper!) Skippy peanut butter really is more delicious than the store brand. Some generic medications do NOT work as well as the brand name medications (both over the counter and prescription - I've learned this one the hard way!) Charmin toilet paper and Kleenex brand tissues are both IMMEASURABLY better than the generics (some body parts just can't be tricked by substituting the store brand for name brand items!)

Unluckily for me and my weaning myself off of Proactiv experiment, my skin is one of those body parts that can't be fooled! Oh well. My quest to be a tightwad will continue in other arenas, but I always love to save some time and avoid re-inventing the wheel when at all possible. What are some other items that I shouldn't bother trying to cut corners on? :)

2 comments:

  1. it's the lack of regulating committee. In food, we have the FDA, and the same thing for drugs. Dietary supplements are a nightmare, it's currently only required to state that the FDA has determined that the product meets their claims -- if they're blank, that means they didn't have the FDA look over it, and who the hell knows. So 200mg of magnesium could be 20 or 500, it's a crapshoot.

    I assume in other products it's the same -- generics are just looking for the same ingredients, and to get away with smaller quantities. Lots of trial and error in your future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And like I mentioned with the medication stuff, generics only have to be within a certain margin of the original formula, not meet it exactly. That's why sometimes it just doesn't seem to work as well, which is really scary because sometimes you can't afford to have medications not work properly! (See, I've already done some trial and error in that domain . . . bleh).

    ReplyDelete