Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Attack Of The Killer Iguanas!


This is an iguana. Notice the spines on his back, the threatening posture, and the deadly claws. AAAAHHH, are you scared?
 
J was, obviously ;) 


Well you don't need to be too afraid, because these ones were pretty tame (not entirely tame, but I'll get to that later!) They had daily iguana feedings on the activity schedule at the kids club, so the iguanas hung around wherever there was sun.
(You have to look closely, but there are iguanas in the bottom left and right corners of the sidewalk).


The thing you have to watch out for, is that (apparently) they like the pool area the most. The first time I went to a chair to set something on it, a huge iguana crawled out from underneath it. (I learned to look underneath them before sitting, after that). Once I was seated on a free (iguana-less) chair, I was enjoying the sun when I looked over to see an iguana climb up on to the chair next to me. CREEPY! That's nothing, though, compared to the woman who was eating her lunch when an iguana leaped up onto her chair to share her food. YIKES!
(This guy is on his way over to claim a lounge chair).


I had wanted to get some pictures of these tame creatures before we left the resort, so we headed down to the pool with my camera before checking out. I saw one little iguana start to head for a lounge chair, and I took her picture.
(See how tiny her head and spines are? Aw, how cute! I think she is a girl).


What happened next took place too quickly for me to capture on (digital) film. That lounge chair must have been the best spot by the pool, because out of nowhere a MUCH larger iguana came charging at her! And so she came running at me! So I went scuttling backwards into J! Who did not go scuttling backwards very far, which is good because we were right at the edge of the pool. Once the (presumably) dominant male had chased the smaller iguana away, she wandered off and they both left us alone. I sure wish we had gotten the whole thing on video, though. That would have been worthy of submitting to a stupid video contest, and I'm down for looking stupid if I get paid for it!
(Look at those cold, cruel eyes! See how proudly he surveys his domain! He was pretty pleased with himself for securing his rightful place by the towels, apparently. Shame on anyone who tries to sit by towels without permission!)



And that is how I risked life and limb to take photos to share, and just barely avoided certain death by falling into the pool (for my camera, that is. Don't be ridiculous! I can swim, so I would have been fine. Sure, I'd look ridiculous, but since that happens quite often, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I'd just be mad I wouldn't be able to take pictures of us in the pool in our clothes with everyone laughing!)

So the next time you see an iguana, don't be scared! If I can survive it, anyone can ;)


(Okay, and try to avoid chasing the iguanas and scaring them, too. J, that was just mean of you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment