Pages

Friday, April 2, 2010

I Admit It, I Am One Of THOSE People

I've always been a picky eater, just ask anyone who has ever had a meal with me ;) In my own defense, the older I get, the more willing I am to try the occasional new food item. I even eat burgers and sandwiches now, that is a big deal!

With that being said, it shouldn't be a surprise that I am very particular about what goes ON my burgers and sandwiches. No onions, no sauces of any kind (ranch is the only acceptable condiment for anything besides french fries), no pickles, no peppers, and did I mention no onions? :)

That means that more often than not, when I go out to eat, I have trouble finding things that appeal to me off the menu. We went to Ruby's for dinner tonight, and here is what I wanted:
  • The guacamole burger
  • Exchange the swiss cheese for the pepper jack cheese from the caliente burger
  • Add the bacon from the bacon cheeseburger
  • And put it all on the whole wheat bun from the veggie burger
So guess what I ordered?

Yup, THAT! (And if I'd realized that it came with some secret sauce on it, you can bet I would have asked to have that taken off! Instead, I had to scrape it all off and try to pretend I hadn't seen in there in the first place, blech). Even with the sauce remnants, it was AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS! (I don't know why that burger isn't on the menu).

So I admit it, I am THAT friend that makes the horribly complicated order. I was very nice about the whole thing, and really, how much more difficult is it to make that burger than any of the original burgers that the pieces originated from?

I've never worked in food preparation or serving, so please, enlighten me - am I only slightly annoying, or was it blasphemous of me just to write out that order? I can't say that knowing will make me change my meal orders, but I would love to know just how much spit I'm probably ingesting in place of all those sauces and sides ;)

1 comment:

  1. Chris says (he worked at Denny's)that while slightly annoying you probably eat very little to no spit. He says there are two ways to be really annoying with food orders: 1.) ask for things to be changed when something is already constructed (so, asking for cheese to be removed from a lasagna that is already made) or 2.) sending something back because you realize upon seeing it that you want something on it to be different (because you didn't read the menu)
    He says that your order is very easy for the kitchen staff to create because they already have to put all those things on burgers, so they are just reaching for a different cheese and bun (lots of people add bacon to all burgers). Though he says it would have been a different story if you had sent it back because you didn't want the secret sauce ....

    ReplyDelete