Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

J Ate The Double Down!

Everyone has heard of KFC's new Double Down, the bacon and cheese sandwich that replaces bread with fried chicken. Being huge fans of cheese, bacon, and chicken, it was only a matter of time until we had to go try it :)

Look, you can see the grease! That's how you know that it's good ;)
 
I had heard lots of statistics about how many calories were in the Double Down, and at less than 600 per sandwich, my guess was that the thing was going to be the size of a slider ;) Well, it wasn't THAT small, but it certainly wasn't big. 

Here it is with a potato wedge, a packet of hot sauce, and a container of ranch dressing to give you a sense of scale. See, not tiny, but also not very big.

I tried a bite, and it was kind of a let down after all the media hype. To be honest, it tasted like chicken (and they've been selling that for years!) The boys said you couldn't taste the bacon at all, and the "pepper-jack" cheese was lacking in peppers. So ultimately, it was fried chicken with a hint of cheese. That's not all that interesting. J and our friend thought it should be spicier, so they added the hot sauce to it. That gave it a mildly interesting taste, at least.

 See, look how un-interesting it is to see J eat it! What a bore.

In an effort to prove that the idea could be delicious, J pounded out two chicken breasts, coated them with a flour and seasoning mixture, and then melted spicy pepper-jack cheese on it for our dinner tonight. THAT was delicious. 

So while most of the world is shunning the Double Down because it has excessive quantities of ingredients that are perfectly fine on their own, I'm going to take a stand and say that the sandwich is lame because it LACKS the wonderful flavors of the ingredients! Even though our homemade version didn't have bacon on it, I'd recommend it over the KFC one any day! So if you feel like spending $6 on a chicken and cheese sandwich, come to our house and J can treat you right ;)

3 comments:

  1. OMG. My other half has been talking about this sandwich, but he hasn't had one yet. Less than 600 calories isn't that bad for what it is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just asked hubby about the sandwich and he said, "I already read her post, and I was amused at J's reaction to the sandwich." Okay then, I guess I am late to the game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So my brother is in the Navy now and back in Great Lakes, IL, McDonald's has this thing called a "McGang-Bang." I guess it's a chicken sandwich between two cheeseburgers all on one bun or something like that. He swears by it so it doesn't surprise me that this type of sandwich is getting a lot of hype. . . some people, and by people I mean 14-30 year old males will eat anything!

    PS this is Leigh in case this shows up as my screename from elementary school . . .

    ReplyDelete